Annual award given to faculty with exceptional achievements in innovation
By Judy Lowry
USF Research News
TAMPA, Fla. – USF Research & Innovation is seeking faculty nominations for the Excellence in Innovation Award. The deadline to submit nominations with support documents is Sep. 9, 2013.
The Excellence in Innovation Award recognizes exceptional achievement in technological innovation and its transfer to practice, industrial partnerships, and/or commercialization during the 2012 calendar year. The award is given annually to USF faculty members from any USF System institution and includes $2,000 to each winner.
More than one award may be given depending on the caliber of the applications. Award(s) will be presented at the annual luncheon of the USF Chapter of the National Academy of Inventors® (NAI) on Oct. 21, 2013.
The faculty member should be nominated by a dean, chairperson, or center/institute director, although self-nominations will be accepted.
“The object of the award is to encourage and reward the highest levels of technological innovation and entrepreneurial success,” said Dr. Paul Sanberg, Senior Vice President for Research and Innovation. “The program acknowledges our best scholars and investigators, and we hope it will inspire continued high-quality research, innovation, and entrepreneurship throughout the university.”
Achievements will typically be in the following general areas, but other related activities will also be considered:
- Development of new intellectual property (e.g., issued patent, patent application)
- Entrepreneurial activity (e.g., a USF-based start-up company, working closely with an established company, license agreement)
- Transition of a pre-clinical discovery into the clinic
- Commercialization of a USF-discovered product
- Funding obtained through federal programs, such as STIR or SBIR grants
- Significant publications in technology (e.g., Science, Nature Biotechnology)
Judy Lowry can be reached at email@example.com or 813-974-3181.